Thursday, July 3, 2014

First Week

Hola everyone!!! I miss you all so much.

The CCM (Centro de Capitacion Misional; the Mission Training Center) is great! Everyone is so kind and wonderful here, and I feel very comfortable. It was a struggle to sleep at the beginning, cuz of the time difference, but I´m good. Also, the food here is weird…the nice lunch people try to make American food for us, but it doesn´t work out very well haha.

My companion is Hermana Finch. She´s great! Always so happy and cheerful. She´s an awesome companion.

Remember how I was really worried about being able to learn the language? Well, I had nothing to worry about. It´s coming so easily! I was shocked, but I´m not complaining. I know that God is helping me, because I could never learn Spanish this easily on my own.

I´m also learning a bit of Portuguese. They have many languages here at the CCM, like Spanish, Italian, Russian…there are some Sisters going to Portugal. I´ve been learning some simple words because, in my mission, there is a city where the missionaries can go into Portugal to preach. (How cool is that???) The pronunciation is a bit different, because they say “s” like “sh”, but it´s very similar. The Russian is not coming easily at all though, I think I´m gonna give up on that one.

All this language learning has led to some interesting stories. For example, the words for fish (pescado) and sins (pecado) sound very similar. When one of the Sisters was trying to say “Christ paid for our sins,” she said, “Christ paid for our fish.” I couldn´t stop laughing. I think things like that are funnier in the CCM than they would be outside…

We have a pretty cool schedule here. Every day, we get an hour of physical activity. Usually we go out and play futbol in the park, and some local kids join us.

Let me just say that again: I¨VE BEEN PLAYING SOCCER IN SPAIN. WITH SPAINARDS. Sooooooo cool. Every day I wake up and think how wonderful it is here, and how blessed I am (I also made a really awesome goal the other day by accident, so everyone thinks that I´m actually good at soccer haha).

On Saturdays, we get to go to a park and talk to people. It´s such a great opportunity to learn how to teach real people. I mean, we practice teaching investigators who we teach every day, but it is very cool to talk to real people.

I have a calling (or responsibility) at church here! I´m the ward chorister. It´s fun haha.

Well, I miss you all! Thanks for all your emails

Love,
Hermana Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment