Monday, August 18, 2014

Week 2

Hi! I´m doing great here. I´m starting to feel like a real missionary, to know the area and take a more active part in teaching the lessons. My spanish isn´t perfect yet, but people can understand me well, so I´m doing okay for now haha. It´s starting to cool down during the day, which is one of the best things that has happened so far haha :)
I decided to give an example of my daily schedule here:
7:30 wake up, exercise, get ready
9 start studying. We do (more or less) four hours of studying a day, Including personal, companion and language study. But, because my area is so large, and because our only form of transportation is by bus or train, I usually study en route, or during meals, or at 10 at night. We try to do it all in the morning, but we have to work around the bus and train schedules.
11-1ish--appointments
1-5 Medio dia! This is the best and worst time of the day. These four hours are when you do not contact anybody or set up appointments because it interrupts meal and siesta time. The stores all shut down, and no one´s on the streets...It´s very interesting. And every day members invite us to eat the main meal, called Comida, with them. It´s always delicious, and they usually give us some to take home as well. Then, if we have time, we relax and study some more. But the bad part is, we don´t take naps! Usually we´re teaching or studying for our investigators or something like that. She here we are, having eaten a huge meal and it´s like 100 degrees outside, and we can´t sleep. It´s a daily test of my self control haha.
5-10:30 More Appointments. This is when we usually meet with our investigators and I do the rest of my studies. There are days when we take a round trip bus ride, come home to switch materials, and then take a train to other appointments. We´re usually out until 10:30, cuz it´s still light and people are up till midnight or later.
10:30-11:30 prepare for the next day an sleep :) Bedtime is one of the best parts of the day.

I´ve started dreaming in Spanish, which you would think would be a good thing. It isn´t, though,because I dream of teaching the gospel lessons to our investigators! I can´t stop teaching even in my sleep.
But this work is amazing. I get to teach people how to have better lives, how to feel the love of God and how to be happy. And I get to do this in Spain, which is awesome :)
We have a family who recently joined the church, Aida and her kids. They´re completely amazing, and they talk to all of their friends about the gospel. Aida owns a store, and this woman, Monica, would always come in and want to talk with Aida, so finally she invited Monica to dinner. They gave her a Book of Mormon with their testimonies, and we started to meet with her.
The moment my companion offered a prayer at the beginning of the lesson, Monica started crying. She said, "I just want to change. I want to live a better life for my kids, and for myself." I think I sometimes take the Gospel for granted. As members of this church, we know that God loves us, and we know that we can live with Him and our families forever. We also know that one of the purposes of life is to be happy, and we know how to be truly happy. That is what I´m trying to teach the people here, that the way to be truly happy is through Jesus Christ and His gospel.

I love you all! It´s always great to hear from you. I hope your weeks are great!
Hermana Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment